Thursday, July 10, 2008

El Vocho #9




I have returned from my lengthy trip back to the U.S. and I'm ready to resume work on El Vocho, so I'll be posting early and often from here on in with updates to the story. I actually have some stuff ready to post, just have to scan it.

But first, let's geek out on some reference material! I've never been a cartoonist who uses a lot of reference; my preference is to just blast the drawings right outa my skull and let the chips fall where they may. However, there is a place for using on the spot sketches and photo reference. Sometimes you just want a realistic look. For me, it's often the case that I'll use reference to get the basic look of something, then I'll freehand it from there.

As this present story features very specific makes and models of autos, there is an obvious need for reference. Since moving to Mexico, I've bought a beat up Vocho (VW Bug) and refurbished it a bit, so my reference is sitting right in the driveway!

Recently, I heard that there would be a Vocho show right here in Oaxaca (Thanks for the tip, Todd!) -- so my son Max and I headed down with my camera and took a few shots that will no doubt come in handy in the course of drawing El Vocho, a few of which are posted here for your enjoyment.

No comments: